No tips posted
Everest Base Camp
01 Nov 2016
20 Nov 2016
Hello every one,
I am new to "The Safarist". I am a regular trekker to the Himalayas for last few years. I am planning for a trek to EBC in a loop route including crossing Chola Pass and Gokyo. Am planning for this trek in Oct-Nov. 2016.
Approx. cost: Rs. 35-40K (Kathmandu-Kathmandu)
Approx. Journey time: 19 days, starting around last week of October or 1st Nov 2016
Reason for this time: 1) Before too much cold/snow closes the pass; 2) clear weather opportunity; 3) less chance of cyclone in Nov.
I am providing the plan here . This is an unconventional route where we take a LOOP ROUTE to reach EBC and come back in a different way (not coming back following the same way as going up):
Day 01 --> Reach KTM. Arrange items for trek.
Day 02 --> Fly, Kathmandu - Lukla (a 45 minute mountain flight) – trek to Phakding (2610 m.) [7 KM]
Day 03 --> Phakding – Monzo – Joresalle - Namche Bazaar (3446 m.) [11 KM]
Day 04 --> Namche Bazar Rest Day [walk to see the yeti skull or take complete rest]
Day 05 --> Namche Bazaar – Teng Boche [10 KM]
Day 06 --> Teng Boche – Ding Boche [11 KM]
Day 07 --> Ding Boche Rest Day
Day 08 --> Ding Boche – Lobuche [7.5 KM]
Day 09 --> Lobuche – Gorak Shep – Kalapatthar – Gorak Shep [11 KM]
Day 10 --> Gorak Shep – EBC – Lobuche
Day 11 --> Lobuche – Dzongla
Day 12 --> Dzongla – Chola Pass – Thagnak Kharka
Day 13 --> Thagnak Kharka – Gokyo
Day 14 --> Gokyo Ri trek – lakes trek – Gokyo – Rest Day
Day 15 --> Gokyo – Machhermo – Dole
Day 16 --> Dole – Namche bazaar
Day 17 --> Namche – Phakding – Lukla
Day 18 --> Fly back to Kathmandu
Day 19 --> Kathmandu – Delhi / Kolkata flight back OR reach Delhi and catch train. [or if time & flight schedule permits, make KTM – Delhi flight on D-18 only]
Few other points to note:
1) Gokyo Ri hike and Kalapatthar hike is optional, depending on trekker’s health.
2) KTM – Lukla mountain flight gets cancelled frequently due to bad weather in Lukla. Usually the morning flights (1st one at 6.30 AM) is not cancelled. So we will aim for that or the 2nd flight of the day. But we MUST keep at least 2 buffer days in hand for this flight. It’s quite regular to see this flight getting cancelled again & again for bad weather.
3) KTM – Lukla mountain flight (and return) is a costly flight and difficult to book without an agent. A return flight costs around Rs. 11000/head (approx 12000 max. including agent booking charge) This ticket is "refundable" (after deducting agent charge, cancellation fees).
4) For office goers, 2 weeks + 2-3 working days of leaves are required to be obtained.
5) KTM-KTM cost will be approx. 35-40K. It can increase/decrease based on no. of trekkers and no. of porters and/or guide. Total cost ultimately will depend on your flight/train for going in/coming out of KTM (Kathmandu).
6) The conventional EBC trek route does not require a guide actually. More experienced porters are enough since the route is mostly well-marked. However, since this loop route involves Chola pass (5.3K M.) and crossing Ngozumpa glacier, I guess having a porter will help for sure. Depending on no. of trekkers, we can look into that. Porters can be easily availed at Lukla and in other locations too in the trek.
7) All staying arrangements are done in lodges with bathroom. No tent stay is involved. In most cases these are kept clean because many foreigners use this. Lodges are not much costly.
8) Major expense will be in terms of food and this will increase with the increase of altitude. Water (if bottled ones purchased) will also add in cost. However, using stream natural water with halogen tablets is perfectly fine. So this is basically an individual cost.
9) This is purely a personally arranged trek. No agency or business is involved. I always go in treks/tours planning on my own - either alone or with a group of people. So basically common expenses are shared by all whereas your personal expenses are your own.
10) There is no technical climb or stretch involved. At max you need to carry (rent) a pair of crampons for Chola pass.
11) This is going to be a high altitude trek with max. alti. gain is around 5600 Mts.
If anyone is seriously interested please keep in touch.